Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to wear down prematurely
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain, or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
- Anatomical concerns for sleep apnea and other sleep disordered breathing issues
Treatment options for adults
Today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs.
Types of braces include:
- Clear ceramic, self-ligating braces (In-Ovation C®)
- Clear aligners (LTX/Invisalign®)
- Traditional metal braces
- Rose gold braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
The difference between adult orthodontics and child orthodontics
Our practice recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
The main difference to remember when treating adults versus kids is that in younger patients the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may mean the possibility of adjunctive procedures to obtain ideal results.
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Benefits of adult orthodontic treatment
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
- To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.
Contact us for a full evaluation! We'll work with you to achieve the results you've been looking for.